Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Getting Accustomed to Prague

Hey everyone!  I'm finally writing on my blog again.  I have a few days to catch you up on for Prague so be prepared for a little bit of a long post!  My very first day here was off to a rocky start but then got better.  First, my ride from the airport was not there.  Luckily I have an awesome fiancé who flew here a day before and was prepared to tell me all of the public transportation stops so that we could get to the hotel.  After heavily debating on taking a taxi, for the thought of having to carry all of my super heavy luggage was very daunting, I decided I should save some money and try out the public transportation.  Couldn't be to hard right? So, I took the bus to the metro stop, where Ali met me! It was so wonderful to see Ali after sooooo long.  I missed him so much.  After my long romantic kiss (: we countinued on the metro towards our hotel.  After the metro we got to take a tram!  The trams are kind of like the cable cars in San Francisco.  So we took the tram to our stop and then hiked up a huge hill with all of the luggage to our hotel.   Then Ali and I went out for a little exploration.  Ali and I set out to find a Lebanese restaurant, which turned out to be an impossible task.  We were on the hunt for a restaurant that was no longer there.  But it turned out to be a very nice walk though.  We ended up eating at an Indian restaurant that was delicious and so cheap!  Although if any European or American comes to Prague, they will be shocked with the amount they are paying.  It seems like you are giving away your life savings when they tell you you owe 200 crowns for a lunch.  You think 200!?!?  Or even 1200 for some furniture.  But really it is sooooo cheap.  200 czech crowns equates to about $10.  Nothing for a huge lunch special with drinks for two people!  So after lunch we decided to saunter back to the hotel.  We found a huge mall and decided to go check it out.  In the mall there was a grocery store, so we stocked up on some breakfast food and snacks for the week.  After our grocery store adventure we decided it was best to take the metro to get back.  Once we finally got in our hotel room, I took a shower to get the nasty airport stank off and took a little nap. ( I know, shocking!) We decided to walk up the hill in search of some food.  Rather than finding food, we found a beautiful palace with amazing views of the city.  Unfortunately it was raining so it wasn't super clear out, but the views were still gorgeous.  We ended up not finding any food up there so we went back down the hill.  Ali was in search of a sandwich so we stopped back in our hotel to ask them where we could get one.  The front desk told us that the only sandwich place was Subway.  Ali had told me he went to Subway the day before and it was disgusting.  He said he went to Subway and they didn't have sandwiches, but that it was Chinese food before.  It was a disgusting restaurant where not only was the food gross, but so was the owner.  The owner decided that it was approrpriate to pop their pimples in the middle of the restaurant.  Nasty!!!The funny thing is he thought that Subway in Prague might be a Chinese restaurant.  While he had been to Subway before, and knew that they had sandwiches, he thought that since he was in a different country the Subway might be different too.  So once I heard this I insisted to Ali that he was wrong.  We continued down the hill where my suspicions were confirmed,  Ali had simply gone in the wrong door.  This time Ali ate at the real Subway and was very pleased.  After Ali ate his sandwich, we went in search of some czech food for me.  Unfortunately,  I assumed that the Czech Republic had similar eating styles to Italy, in which they eat very late.  I was wrong.  They close around 10.  So with my only option being Subway,  I enjoyed a sandwich from an American corporation on my very first night in Prague.  Wouldn't be my first, second or even third choice, but what are you going to do when you're hungry and it's the only place open?
        The next day, I was ready to hit the town and see some sights.  At our hotel there was an advertisement for a free walking tour of the city.  Ali and I set out to find the famous (unrightfully so to some tourists) astronomical clock.  We were initially going to go on a walking tour with one group but we saw them leaving and saw a different company leaving closer to us so we decided to join their group.  It was Ali's first walking tour and he really enjoyed it.  We got to hear a lot about Czech history, which was nice since I didn't know any of it and some really interesting stories about certain sites around Prague.  For example, one legend about the astronomical clock is that the clockmaker was so amazing, that those who commissioned him to make the clock were fearful that he might recreate something similar somewhere else.  To prevent this, they blinded him.  As a punishment to the people who blinded them, the clockmaker killed himself by throwing himself into the gears of the clock and also cursing the clock for 100 years.  He was the only clockmaker in town, so for the next 100 years the clock did not work. This was just one of the stories but there were a lot more.  The tour lasted about 3 hours so we saw a lot and learned a lot.  After the tour we were pretty tired so we headed back to the hotel to rest for a bit because we had a big night planned.  We were going to meet Jen Coburn and her daughter Katie.  We rested a little bit and then set out for our night with Jen and Katie on the jazz boat.  Luckily, Jen found out that the location was changed at the last minute due to the rain.  We met up with Katie and Jen for a wonderful night.  The food was delicious, the music was great, and I was so excited to finally have someone from home meet Ali.  Ali and I had a lot of fun hanging out with Jen and Katie. After the jazz boat we walked home with Katie and Jen, only to realize that we had actually passed their hotel on our food hunt the previous night.  

I will continue the rest soon.  But here are my first two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment